MayDOG, Maynard’s Dog Owners Group, is a community organization in Maynard, MA that is dedicated to promoting responsible dog ownership and safe, legal off-leash dog recreation in Maynard and the surrounding communities. MayDOG was founded in 2008 and is registered as a public charity. We are incorporated as a 501(c)(3) (tax exempt) non-profit under Chapter 180 of the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and all donations are tax deductible.
What is a dog park a.k.a. OLRA, off-leash recreation area?
A dog park is a designated fenced area where dogs can play and exercise off-leash. Dog parks help dogs exercise and socialize, making them better-behaved and quieter pets. Dog parks are also a great place meet other dog owners to talk to!
A dog park can take one of several different forms:
- A fenced area within a park
- A “dog-zone” within a park created by natural barriers, instead of fences
- An entire park that is fenced in and designated for off-leash use
- Any combination of the above
Why is a dog park important?
Dog parks improve the quality of life for dog owners as well as for their dogs, they promote a healthy lifestyle for people and pets, they help build community, and they help to promote responsible dog ownership.
Dogs parks facilitate dogs and their families to safely play together and with other dogs and humans. Dog parks allow people to learn how to communicate better with their canine family members, exchange tips with other dog owners, and help each other solve problems. Dog parks provide a space for dogs to exercise, avoid boredom and destructive behaviors, and learn good manners. All of this makes dogs easier to live with, and they are less likely to be given up for adoption, or worse, abandoned.
- A tired dog is a good dog. Providing opportunities for off-leash play means dogs are better behaved (less nuisance barking and other problematic behaviors).
- Dog parks are often very popular places with regular visitors who get to know each other and develop bonds that help build the community.
- Dog parks can increase property values, bring visitors to town who patronize town businesses, and attract new residents.
Where will the park be located?
The park will be located on Waltham St. in Maynard, the location of the former landfill and future solar farm. Funds through grants, private donations, fundraisers, and corporate sponsorships will be needed to support and maintain the park.
Will there be a fee to use the park?
No, the park will be free to everyone.
Will there be parking?
A dedicated parking area will be provided.
How can I help or get involved?
- Become a member of MayDOG
- Become a volunteer
- Make a donation to MayDOG
Help the cause by being a responsible dog owner – and by being committed to cleaning up after your dog!
Do you have a concern that is not addressed here? Please contact us and we’ll do our best to address it.